Licensed in both Ontario and New York, Abhishek employs a rigorous, strategic, and creative approach to solving complex legal problems.
Abhishek Vaidyanathan is an associate at Tyr LLP. Prior to joining Tyr LLP in April 2020, he carried on a general civil, commercial, regulatory litigation practice at Shearman & Sterling LLP in New York and at Henein Hutchison LLP in Toronto.
Abhishek has experience advising clients on commercial, securities, competition, and regulatory litigation, class actions, and corporate investigations. He has represented publicly traded and privately held companies, individuals, and regulators across a broad range of industry areas. Abhishek has appeared before courts and administrative tribunals in New York and Ontario.
Abhishek maintains an active pro bono practice. He received the New York State Bar Association’s Empire State Counsel Award in 2018 for pro bono service at Shearman & Sterling LLP. More recently, he has worked on a variety of public interest class actions while at Henein Hutchison LLP.
Abhishek received his J.D. from Osgoode Hall Law School in 2017, where he graduated in the top 10% of his class. Prior to law school, Abhishek worked in the financial industry as a Summer Analyst at ScotiaMcLeod Wealth Management and completed the Canadian Securities Course. He also served as a Political Aide to the Minister of State (Sport) in Ottawa and as a Junior Policy Analyst in the Ontario Ministry of Finance.
- Represented class plaintiffs in a securities class action brought against CannTrust Holdings Inc.
- Represented plaintiff in Divisional Court appeal of a class proceeding alleging systemic negligence and Charter violations in respect of bail delays in Ontario (Cirillo v. Ontario).
- Represented Andrew Stronach in Stronach v. Stronach; managed large-scale document production and review of opposing party productions.
- Represented CellMark Inc. in lawsuit alleging, inter alia, breach of contract in the purchase of paper stock.
- Represented commercial real estate developer in dispute over purported joint venture spanning two lawsuits and four separate properties.
- Represented Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. in multidistrict class action. Managed over twenty copycat actions from filing until consolidation; briefed successful opposition to motion to compel production of documents previously produced to the DOJ in the course of an antitrust investigation. In Re: Local TV Advertising Antitrust Litigation, MDL no. 2867 (N.D. Ill.)
- Represented Goldman Sachs & Co. in connection with successful third-party subpoena response; conducted first level document collection, review, and production; prepared witness for discoveries. In re Payment Card Interchange Fee and Merchant Discount Antitrust Litigation, 1:05-md-1720 (E.D.N.Y.).
- Advised independent directors of Wells Fargo & Co. in connection with CFTC, SEC, DOJ, and OCC investigations of sales practices in wealth management division.
- Advised digital asset exchange in confidential CFTC and DOJ investigations relating to potential application of Commodities Exchange Act to alleged self-trading and collusive trading by exchange participants.
- Drafted prosecutorial assessments for the Ontario College of Pharmacists evaluating the viability of professional misconduct complaints involving issues ranging from billing fraud and cannabis compounding to narcotics dispensing and record-keeping.
- Represented physician in College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario penalty hearing.
Abhishek received his J.D. from Osgoode Hall Law School in 2017, finishing in the top 10% of his class. At Osgoode, Abhishek served as President of the Constitutional Law Society for three years, competed in several moots, and worked as a Research Assistant to Professor Alan N. Young, litigating a variety of Charter cases. Abhishek also completed an exchange semester at the National University of Singapore where he served as a Research Assistant to Professor Umakanth Varottil and helped author a paper analyzing corporate social responsibility spending requirements under Indian company law.
Prior to attending Osgoode, Abhishek received a B.A. in History and Political Science from the University of Toronto, graduating with high distinction and receiving the Stacey Prize in History for ranking as the top student in the history program. At the University of Toronto, Abhishek served as Secretary of the Hart House Debates Committee and as a student representative on the Hart House Board of Stewards and the Academic Committee of Governing Council.
The Advocates' Society
New York State Bar Association
Toronto Lawyers Association
South Asian Bar Association of Toronto
Canadian Securities Course (2012)
Honours B.A., with high distinction, University of Toronto (2014)
J.D., Osgoode Hall Law School (2017)