Diversity and Inclusion at Tyr
Tyr recognizes that diversity makes us stronger. Diversity brings more perspectives to bear on complex issues, which fosters stimulating discussion and leads to better outcomes.
Tyr is strongly committed to maintaining a diverse and inclusive workplace. Under the leadership of our Diversity Committee, Tyr ensures that an ethos of diversity and inclusion drives our recruitment, retention, and advancement strategies.
Externally, Tyr is committed to supporting not-for-profit organizations and undertaking pro bono legal work to promote equity, diversity and inclusion. Examples of some of the firm's initiatives and achievements to date include the following:
- Tyr partner and head of the firm's Diversity Committee, Pinta Maguire, regularly volunteers with the Black Legal Action Centre.
- Our lawyers represented Olympic athletes Caster Semenya and Dutee Chand in appeals seeking to strike down regulations that require certain women to lower their naturally occurring testosterone levels as a condition of participation in women's sport. These cases received international attention and are important to the continued advancement of the rights of women and minorities.
- Our lawyers represented four-time Olympian Aleksandra Shelton in proceedings that originated following allegations of discrimination in Poland after her return to elite sport as a new mother.
- Our lawyers are currently representing Akim Aliu, a former NHL hockey player, addressing issues of systematic racism in professional hockey.
- Our lawyers represent the Canadian National Women's Soccer players and worked with them to form the first ever all women players association in Canada.
- Jim Bunting is a member of the board of directors of the Jays Care Foundation (the charitable arm of the Toronto Blue Jays Baseball Team), which provides programming and other services to minority groups across Canada, including in major cities and within First Nation communities.
- Judith Manger founded Axis Music, a charitable organization that aims to promote equal access to music education by offering tuition-free music programming for children and youth living in Toronto Community Housing in Scarborough.
- Jim Bunting was awarded the Lexpert Zenith Award — Diversity and Inclusion (2016) in recognition of his work with global athletes suffering discrimination under internal rules.
- Our lawyers have acted as Designated Representatives for unaccompanied minors making refugee claims in Canada.